Friday, June 15, 2012

Road Trippin'

Last weekend was a crazy, fast weekend for us C's (as apparently this week was, since it's already Friday)!  On Thursday morning, bright and early, I had a 32 week ultrasound on the little man (he's still an adorable, chubby cheeked clone of my hubby), and immediately from there left for a road trip to Michigan to visit the hubby's cousins.  The ride out wasn't so bad- the novelty of having snacks and toys thrown her way every 10 minutes kept the nug happy.   We even stopped about 4 hours short of our destination to spend the night at a hotel with an indoor pool  (which the nug thought was pretty much the coolest thing ever).  Since we made it out there in good spirits and unscathed, we thought we had it made...

But a funny thing happened last weekend in the magical land of Michigan.  My daughter...my sweet, snuggly, tender daughter, seemingly turned into a teenager overnight.  Now, I know she's really not a teenager, but I'm pretty sure it's considered teen aged behavior to yell "STOP TALKING!" when your father is reprimanding you.  You read that right.  As my husband was explaining to her why she shouldn't be putting her feet up on the iPad, she copped an attitude.  That tude she dished out was 100% vintage Megan.  On one hand, it's a little unnerving having proved my mother right (she always warned me that I'd have a daughter like me someday), on the other, I'm kind of finding it hilarious.  In that moment, jaws dropped, I had to give my husband the "don't you DARE laugh right now" look of death, and bite into my own lip to keep from smiling myself in order to tell her it wasn't nice to talk to Mommy and Daddy (or anyone) like that.  I'm sure it was the first of many times we'll have to turn our faces away so she can't see our amusement at her emerging vivacity.  On the bright side, she was mostly fabulous sharing attention with her new baby cousin; we realized the problem we'll likely have when little man comes is that she'll want to help TOO much.  I'm not really expecting her enthusiasm to stick around very long once she realizes that our new little C won't be gone after 48 hours, but I'm happy to see that she at least didn't seem to find the prospect of Mommy paying attention to another baby as problematic.

While the actual road trip was uneventful (and the weekend awesome), sitting in the car for a total of 22-23 hours over the course of 4 days didn't bode well for my big bellied body.  Since the little guy is pretty much spread eagle all over my short torso, sitting for long periods can be extremely uncomfortable.  Not to mention, while we thought we were totally prepared, loading 6, 24 minute episodes of her favorite TV shows on the iPad proved to be more trouble than it was worth (as in the giant preggo having to lean back into the back seat every 24 minutes to start a new show).  While I might try this road trip thing again in a few years, it definitely won't be happening again any time soon.
In other news, the school year is officially over.  At first I was really looking forward to this; her afternoon classes made for late naps (and even later bedtimes), so I figured once school was done I could get the nug on a better sleep schedule.  Except I forgot how much I reaaaaallly look forward to those four hours a week.  They gave me time to write, tidy up after one of her morning tornados through the living room, or, most important, get a mani/pedi!  Although, it's kind of nice that for the next few weeks (as in the last few weeks we have together as a trio- GULP!), we won't be on anyone's schedule but our own.  Even though it's getting much harder for me to get around, I am determined to make this next month or two amazing (yes...I *could* have a baby in as few as 4 weeks, although I'm anticipating more like 6, 7 if he's stubborn). I refuse to let my big, waddling, hobbily behind sit around while there are beaches to visit, pools to swim in, and fun to be had!  It might take me longer to do it (seriously, I think a snail would beat me in a race at the moment), but I am going to do it ;)

As for my Pinterest challenge, it begins TODAY!  I've spent a bit of time scouring the site and although I really still don't get the hype, I'm going to do my best to utilize it.  I'll let you know how it's going!  It should be interesting to give it a go now that the nug's spring activities are all over  AND she's been refusing to nap.  In the mean time, feel free to check out my latest article on Miss A about keeping your family's skin safe in the summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment