Monday, April 9, 2012

Spring Break Time!

It's Monday again!  Usually I do my weekly kick-off and challenge of the week on Sundays, but as yesterday was Easter Sunday (and we didn't stop moving all day), I hope you'll give me a free pass.  My Good Friday led right into a GREAT weekend, which always leaves a bittersweet taste in my mouth come Monday morning.  I know, that sounds strange, but three days of QT with the hubby and family fun goodness has me missing my better half come the work week (a husband hangover if you will).  

Our evening alone in the city was so much fun; Southern Hospitality did NOT disappoint (nor did my first taste of southern fried pickles- holy crap were they yummy!), and Bruce?  He's a music God for a reason, my friends.  Three hours of non-stop music, dancing, and pure music heavenliness.  I've been a Bruce Springsteen fan my whole life (I AM from NJ after all- which isn't a Bruce mandate but it does greatly increase the odds of being a lifelong lover), and the hubs and I attend at least one concert in every single tour- he's yet to put on a sub par show.  With beer chugging, crowd surfing, stage sliding and oozing pure energy at 62 years old, I have a feeling we'll be enjoying these shows for years to come.

After a much needed solid night sleep (I haven't stayed up until 1 am since before I was pregnant and it definitely took it's toll), the hubs and I grabbed some breakfast and set out to get the nug her big Easter surprise- a play house (courtesy of the Easter Bunny, of course).  The afternoon was so nice (weather wise) we decided to venture down to the boardwalk for some rides, games and one of our beloved strolls down the planks.  The boardwalk is someplace I'll never get sick of...sometimes when I'm there I get some strangely (happily) morbid thoughts.  As in, if there's an afterlife, the boardwalk is where I'll be.  I've described a thousand times why I love it so much; it just never gets old to me!  Once all that was said and done, it was later than we thought so we rushed through dinner to get the nug to bed and set the scene (aka the house, the basket and the hidden eggs) for the morning.

Easter itself was a wonderful, family whirlwind!  Yummy food, good company and for the nug, it may as well have been Christmas!  Presents, candy, more presents, more candy, MORE presents and, yup, MORE candy!  She sugar-crashed hard last night at bedtime, passing out in record time.

This week is Spring break- no school or activities, which at first I thought was going to be an awesome break from the routine...except it's not even 9 am on Monday morning and I'm wondering what the hell we're going to do to fill the time all week.  A year ago being home for a week wasn't such a big issue, at 16 months the nug was fine chillin' out and playing with her toys with the occasional outing...but these days? If she's not on the go,  none of us are happy (she's an independent kid but when she's bored, she's getting into major shenanigans).  I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the weather stays (at least mostly) nice so we can make a few trips to the playground, and of course we'll hit up a few story times, too.  I just didn't realize how much I really relied on those scheduled activities to schedule my whole days.  For instance: school at 12:30? Okay, Mickey/breakfast 8-830, shower/dress, food shop, nap 1-1.5 hours, dress, snack in the car on the way, school 1230-230, errands (drop off dry cleaning, drop mail, etc), spend 1 hour in basement to do laundry, make dinner and hubs will be home!

Although I'm kind of nervous about all the free time, I've decided to work this to my advantage.  I've been wanting to do a few things that are hard to do with such a busy schedule- work out and start on the potty training.  Since she loves/d gym daycare (semi-past tense since I haven't been in some time), I figure one of her "activities" can really be MY activity.  I've been itching to get back there, and with some time to fill there's not really a better chance to kick start it!  As far as the potty training goes, I'm just not sure she's ready.  She tells me all the time when she's already gone (in fact yesterday she screamed, quite a few times, in her best confident yell that she had gone poopies...we were so proud, hehe), and frequently asks for changes; but mostly sees the potty as a funny thing to play with.  She does occasionally go and we do the big hoop-lah about it, but she just doesn't seem to have the desire yet to really take the plunge.  This week I'm going to start the rewards for going on the potty (and putting her on it often), in the hopes she sees it as another big girl milestone she wants to accomplish.

Now that we've filled a whole 20 minutes, I'm off to figure out how we'll spend the rest of the day.  Happy Monday! (and Spring break!)

No comments:

Post a Comment