Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Killing some time on the train...

So, today is 9/11. It's been 11 years since the terrorist attacks, and I think we all remember where we were that day. I was in the computer lab at school (remember those? When everyone and their mother didn't own a lap top, iPhone and iPad?), IMing with a friend who told me to turn on the TV...fast. What I saw terrified me, and I remember frantically calling Kenny to make sure he'd heard from his Dad (who works in the city). The days following were filled with fear, sadness and anger...not much unlike how I have felt this past month.

Today, on the 11th anniversary of that awful day, we are on our way into the city (I'm writing this on the train) to get the results of the PET scan and functional MRI that Kenny had done last week.We are pretty nervous...even though the doctor just wanted them done to better plan for the surgery, it's easy to let your fears take hold- what if the original scans were done poorly and we find out its worse than they thought? What if it's more aggressive than they thought and it's grown a lot? While most are praying for peace for the families of victims of the terrorist attack, I can't help but be praying mostly for my own. I *think* God will cut me some slack on that one, considering the circumstances.

On a same, but unrelated note, yesterday was Cam's first day of preschool. The girl could not have been more excited- in fact all of us agree that we don't think any of us have ever SEEN anyone more excited to go to school. I was happy for her (and for the short break), but anytime she is away from me, I miss her. While she was there, I had to run to the post office ( to finally mail the thank you cards I had written over a week ago). As I was getting to her school, Hey Soul Sister came on the radio (our song- I even used to sing it to her when she was in my belly)...and if that weren't enough, at the moment I was passing the school, I caught a glimpse of my little girl and her new school friends walking to the playground. Of course I started bawling, not only because it made me happy, but because it made me feel like someone "up there" was watching, and trying to brighten my day. Some might think that's silly or overreaching, but it's just how I felt that moment.

On that happy note, I'm going to try to relax on the rest of our train ride. Wish us luck today! Xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment